Assignment 1: Formal Letter (Descriptive Reflection)

 Dear Professor Blackstone

My name is King Si Ting, and my purpose for writing this letter is to introduce myself to you as a student in your effective communication class. Prior to entering Singapore Institute of Technology, I graduated with a Diploma in Green Building and Sustainability from Temasek Polytechnic. Before entering Temasek Polytechnic, I was more interested in business compared to engineering due to taking accounting for my O Level examinations. It all changed when I entered Temasek Polytechnic where I was taught different modules such as Building Information Modelling and Fire Safety Management. This sparked my interest and I decided to further my studies by pursuing a degree in Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services) where I can expand my knowledge.


A strength that I possess is that I am a good team player. During group projects, when everyone is contributing ideas, I listen attentively and give constructive feedback. I am open to criticisms and I take the mistakes as a good platform to improve myself. I also provide a listening ear and help others when they are in need.


On the other hand, a weakness that I think can be improved is the confidence when presenting to a group of people. I often become nervous and stutter a lot. I believe through attending your lessons, I will be able to improve on my weakness and turn it into a strength.


Through studying this module, I believe that I will learn to be a more effective communicator by improving on my interaction and presentation skills. The knowledge I have earned through attending your classes will certainly be beneficial for my studies in SIT, as well as in the future when I enter the workforce. I look forward to having a great time in your lessons.


Best regards


King Si Ting

 

(Revised 29/09/2020)


Comments

  1. Dear Si Ting,

    Thank you for this clear, concise letter. In it you seem to address all the elements of the assignment. It's interesting how your study of BIM and FSM impacted your decision to pursue SIE.
    You also describe how your empathy makes you a good team player.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Si Ting,
    Both your content and organisation are good. I feel these could be changed.
    I decided to further my studies....
    There are many "also" in the second paragraph, hence can construction the sentence better.
    I believe through under your (felt the word choice was off) teaching....

    Your Sincerely,
    Sharms :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharms,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and giving valuable feedback!

      Regards,
      Si Ting

      Delete
  3. Hi Si Ting,

    It's amazing to see how studying in Temasek Polytechnic has influenced your interest in the engineering faculty!
    The content of your letter is very well written and easy to understand. Your use of conjunction words make it pleasant to read more about your introduction.

    However, I feel that there are some possible areas of improvement the way you phrase your content. The sentence structure of some phrases tend to be broken and sound awkward. One example is "...effective communicator by improving on my interacting and presentation skills. I enjoy learning and gaining new knowledge.".

    I look forward to getting to know you better.

    Warmest regards,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ash,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and pointing out some of the mistakes I have made. I will make the necessary changes! I look forward to getting to know you better too!

      Regards,
      Si Ting

      Delete
  4. Hey Si Ting,

    I commented above. Your language use is spotless, and I find the content seamlessly presented and concise. Thanks for the fine effort.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Professor Brad,

      Thank you for taking the time to re-read the letter and giving comments!

      Regards,
      Si Ting

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Annotated Summary

Critical Reflections